Saturday, January 18, 2014

Musée D'Orsay, Oberkampf, the Seine, and random stream-of-consciousness observations

Hello again. I keep forgetting what I wanted to talk about so let's see what comes out in stream of consciousness. I went to Musée D'Orsay with my friends today. It is a really cool museum mostly of impressionists and post-impressionists. It's in an old (retired) train station and it is beautiful! We weren't allowed to take pictures inside but I took this of the outside.


Token "outside of the museum" photo

When we got out of the museum there was a cute little crêpe stand that I HAD to take a picture of, and of course I took some of the Seine because it was lovely.

Crêpe stand. Too cute.

The Seine with that Ferris Wheel near the Jardin des Tuileries in the background.

The Seine. Bye boat!

Candid.

Not candid, minus Allie who didn't get the memo.

We walked around for a bit and found a nice area to grab crêpes and then all went home. We're going out in a bit but I dunno where.

Area where we got crêpes. How very French.

Side note: French people apparently love Earth, Wind, and Fire because I heard September two separate times today played by two different people. And my home stay family is now playing Nina Simone because they have seriously amazing taste. The other day they were playing Cat Stevens and the son played Formidable by my favorite person ever, Stromae! So suffice to say I dig French taste in music.

Yesterday we checked out rue Oberkampf in the 11th arrondissement, which is known as a hip place (as in hipsters). It was cool but we were too tired to go out to a bar after the café because it was pretty late and I am an old person. I can barely deal with Anglophone hipsters when I'm tired, much less Francophone ones. But we're going out tonight! So we're not lame! Right? Right.

So on my way home last night on the métro a REALLY drunk dude stumbled in and nearly fell on the girl sitting near the door. He then proceeded to sit down in an empty seat and, while taking swigs from a bottle, yelled about "le marriage pour tous" (marriage equality). He kept saying things like "women and women and men with men: this is France today!" It was very strange.

Another random observation (stream of consciousness, remember?): all the stores up one street near me are wedding shops. They aren't big or fancy or anything and I have no idea why they are all in one spot but they all sell wedding dresses or dresses for women who aren't the bride to wear to a wedding. It's really weird. And a lot of them are muslim-themed. There's one called "Beirut Mode" (Beirut fashion). Strange.

Another thing: I keep seeing these spigot things in the métro and have no idea what it's for. Is it for washing your feet? Free water for the homeless/travellers? I have no idea. This guy and his friends don't seem to know either.

Someone explaaaaaain!

Anyway that's all for now because I have to feed myself. Tchao!

Bisous,
La vache espagnole

No comments:

Post a Comment